JOB PURPOSE/SUMMARY: Consistent with shared services agreements with affiliated entities within the organization, oversees all aspects of the organization’s legal affairs and serves as an integral member of the organization’s executive team. Responsible for all aspects of the Office of the General Counsel, as well as the Company’s ethics and compliance program and risk management activities. Please direct all inquiries to: Steve Haft (Stevehaft@saltchukmariness.com).
OFFICE OF THE GENERAL COUNSEL
- Provide accurate legal guidance to the executive staffs of affiliated entities on all legal matters that impact or may impact the organization.
- Manage litigation and outside counsel.
- Attend affiliated entity executive meetings and provide strategic legal advice to management.
- Together with Saltchuk Marine Shared Services team, set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors.
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks.
- Create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders.
- Work effectively with external parties (including but not limited to customers, vendors, regulators, external counsel).
- Attract, develop, direct, motivate and drive performance of team members.
- Draft and review, as necessary, contracts for customers, vendors and others.
- Achieve goals of the Office of the General Counsel.
- Deal with complex and significant matters that cut across legal and related areas.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes.
- Utilize Legal Tracker for legal matter management and billing.
- Work cooperatively with members of the Saltchuk legal department.
- Dotted line reporting responsibility to the Saltchuk SVP, General Counsel and Chief Ethics Officer.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Management of the Ethics and Compliance Program, including:
- Investigation of hotline matters as assigned
- Conduct ethics and compliance training activities
- Ensure effective compliance with all laws and regulations and any policies administered by the Office of Legal Counsel
- General oversight of the Risk Management Program
- Establish and review Risk Management Strategies
SUPERVISORY AND LEADERSHIP OF DIRECT STAFF
- Responsible for all matters of employment including recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline and termination.
- Understands and complies with applicable Affirmative Action Plans, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates function and/or regional goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Processes performance evaluations in a timely, effective and fair manner.
- Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
- Establishes goals, monitors progress and results of direct reports.
- Addresses inter- and intra-department training needs and counseling, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience within the maritime industry.
- Proven understanding of the regulatory aspects of the maritime industry, including blue and green water companies preferred.
- Knowledge of wide range of maritime regulations on a federal, state and local port level.
- Partner-level private practice experience required, with at least five years of prior partner-level experience required.
- Sufficient overall legal knowledge (corporate law, litigation, maritime law and employment/labor law) to perform duties above.
- Experience with U.S. Coast Guard preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use legal and business knowledge, financial acumen, innovative thinking and sound judgment to solve problems and pursue opportunities for improvement.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
- First class interpersonal and communication skills.
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues impact organizations.
- Must be able to travel.
- On-site, regular, predictable and on-time attendance is required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires a law degree (JD) and a license to practice law in Washington State preferred (will be necessary to obtain). MA or BS in Business Administration preferred. Minimum of eight years of General Counsel experience, with supervisory experience preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is mostly performed both in an office environment sitting at a desk utilizing computer keyboard and telephone, and on location where project conditions vary. May be required to work extended hours as needed to implement new projects. Travel will be required. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands or fingers; handle or feel; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Ability to move between buildings, ascend/descend stairs and go outdoors in all kinds of weather. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The workday usually has a high number of interruptions and priority changes necessitating the need to remain flexible and focused in order to accomplish tasks. Often requires the ability to work under time constraints, with frequent changing deadlines and handling confidential information.
POSITION CONTENT: This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, working conditions associated with the positions. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, these requirements may change over time. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary.