Employment Opportunity – Senior Trial Maritime Attorney – OneBeacon Insurance Group
This is a senior attorney position in the company’s Staff Counsel Office. Independently provides legal representation and defense counsel for insureds before courts, arbitration panels, or other bodies. Advises Claim employees in their handling of litigated claim matters. Responsible for completion of caseload and trial work of moderate complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal. Manages assigned staff and/or coaches and mentors junior members of the team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Handles a workload of defense files representing the company’s insureds in property and casualty matters. Responsible for maintenance and completion of caseload and trial work of moderate complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal.
- Conducts all appropriate legal action to best protect the interests of the client(s) on all assigned cases. Prepares appeals and performs necessary research on motions.
- Broad authority to negotiate settlements with plaintiffs’ attorneys.
- May manage a staff, including development, goal setting, skill assessment, staff selection, role alignment, and performance appraisals. Provides frequent communication and measurement of corporate and local goals.
- Coaches and mentor junior members of the team in preparation for trials involving property and casualty claims.
- Interfaces and provides counsel to other claims staff as cases develop through trial or resolution.
- Reviews and reports all large cases to managing attorney, prepares timely reports as required and schedules/attends conferences with other Claims staff to review pending litigation.
- Actively provides strategic and tactical input to management on budgetary and office operations. Provides consultation as to the proper resolution of defense files litigated on behalf of insureds.
- Maintains a strong professional knowledge of legal environments and applies this information effectively.
Decision-Making Authority/Accountability Level:
- Position operates under limited supervision and works independently on assignments of moderate complexity.
- Must have the skills needed to manage a staff. Has the authority to hire, terminate and all other aspects of performance management.
- Exercises independent judgment and decision making in accordance with specified policies and guidelines.
- Applies industry knowledge, technical skill and sound business practices to decision making. Decisions could have a direct impact on Insureds and the company. An incorrect decision could be costly, depending on losses that occur.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- 7-10 years of experience litigating property and casualty claims.
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience, preferred.
- Substantial experience with research, discovery depositions, mediations and trial preparation required.
- JD required.
- Manages a team of 2-6 professional, attorney positions.
Link to online posting: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25948&siteid=5262&AReq=1199BR