Founded in 1899, the Maritime Law Association of the United States is the oldest and most recognized maritime legal organization in the United States, furthering the understanding and advancement of maritime law among lawyers, scholars, and maritime industries. You can join the MLA as an Associate Lawyer Member, Judicial Member, Academic Member or Law Student Member depending on your status. Online applications and information regarding eligibility for each class of membership appear below. Membership in the Association provides many benefits and opportunities, including:
- Networking and collaborating with experienced maritime lawyers from across the United States and around the world
- Networking with leaders in a variety of maritime industries
- Participation in nineteen practice area committees such as Marine Financing, Offshore Industries, and Inland Waters and Towing, and more
- Opportunities to present papers, reports, and CLE programs
- Attendance at yearly Spring meetings in New York City, and yearly Fall meetings in port or resort cities around the United States
- Participation in joint meetings with International Maritime Law Associations (in recent years, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, South and Central American Countries, and Caribbean countries)
- Opportunities to make and receive referrals from association colleagues
The MLA Officers and Directors consider membership applications four times a year at the Board of Directors meeting. We recommend submitting your application at least two weeks prior to a meeting, the dates of which can be found on the calendar page.
Click here to review MLA dues and fees.
PROCTOR MEMBERSHIP: For existing Members interested in applying for Proctor Membership, please log in and navigate to the Proctor Application link on the right side of your individual Member Dashboard, under “Member Resources & Tools.” Or, you may go directly to the Proctor Application Form (please note that this link will require you to log in). If you need assistance logging in, please email the MLA Adminstrator at [email protected].
For information on reinstating your membership, please e-mail your request for reinstatement to BOTH Membership Secretary, Alexander M. Giles, and the MLA Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org; [email protected].
Proctor Members may propose qualified candidates for Adjunct Membership. Proctor Members, please go to Adjunct Lawyer Member page (you must be logged in) for forms and instruction.