- MLA 2023 Spring Meeting: May 3 – May 5, New York, NY
The 2023 MLA Spring General Meeting will be held Friday May 5, 2023, commencing at 9:30 am in the Great Hall of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 42 West 44th Street, New York.
Friday’s Meeting will be preceded by Committee Meetings and evening events on Wednesday, May 3 and Thursday, May 4, 2023, all of which will take ...Continue Reading
- Employment Opportunity: ConocoPhillips, Counsel – International, Low Carbon
ConocoPhillips is hiring in Houston, TX a new Counsel position who will be on the team supporting global business units on low carbon technology projects, global new ventures, emerging business, acquisitions and divestitures. The position may be eligible for a voluntary hybrid office work (HOW) program designed to provide employees with flexibility while maintaining the ...Continue Reading
- MLA Obituary Notice – Terry Cox (September 13, 1951 – January 18, 2023)
Terence Sheehan Cox (“Terry”) was a founding partner of Cox Wootton Lerner Griffin & Hansen LLP, San Francisco. He passed away on January 18, 2023 after a long and distinguished maritime law career.
- Employment Opportunity: Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, Maritime Law Professor
Loyola University New Orleans College of Law is now accepting applications for a law professor who specializes in maritime law to begin August 1, 2023. Other curricular needs include constitutional law, human rights law, torts, and business and corporate law courses. We especially welcome applications from candidates who will add to the diversity of our ...Continue Reading
- MLA Obituary Notice – Robert Hughes (1929-2022)
Robert Hughes of Virginia Beach, Virginia passed away on December 29, 2022. In 1960, he became a Proctor Member of the MLA. Mr. Hughes practiced maritime law for over 30 years after serving in the United States Navy.
- The MLA is sad to report the loss of two Members, Andrew (“Andy”) Waks and Robert Bailey Acomb, III.
Below are tributes by their families. They will be missed by friends, family, and colleagues.
Andrew (“Andy”) Waks
August 28, 1952 – November 15, 2022
Miami, Florida – Andy Waks passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday, November 14th, 2022 at the age of 70. He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Judy, his three children, Mark, Jeremy ...Continue Reading
- UN General Assembly Adopts the United Nations Convention on the International Effects of Judicial Sales of Ships
Dated: December 8, 2022
The Maritime Law Association of the United States is pleased to report that the General Assembly of the United Nations has just adopted the United Nations Convention on the International Effects of Judicial Sales of Vessels. The development of this Convention began with a working group of the Comite Maritime International in ...Continue Reading
- PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN EMAILS PURPORTING TO BE FROM THE MLA UNLESS YOU HAVE CONFIRMED THEY ARE FROM A LEGITIMATE MLA EMAIL ADDRESS
Many of you have received solicitations from companies offering to sell you the “MLA Mailing List.” Some of you have received an email notifying you that the MLA has sent you a “file download link.” Recently, you may have received an email saying you have an “invoice.”
Please note that these are not legitimate solicitations.
The ...Continue Reading
- EMPLOYMENT OPPORTNITY: PARTNER, OF COUNSEL, ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY, ADMIRALTY/MARITIME, COMPLEX FEDERAL CIVIL LITIGATION
Simms Showers LLP seeks partner, of counsel and associate-level attorneys with three (3) or more years practice experience with background including federal judicial clerkship, law review and/or top 50 law school degree, to join our national and international practice in admiralty and maritime, and complex federal civil litigation.
We seek lawyers with demonstrated client development ability ...Continue Reading
- To Our Members Affected by Hurricane Ian
Our hearts go out to our Members and their families affected by Hurricane Ian. If the Association can assist in any way, please reach out to an Officer or Board Member and let us know.